Impotency And Herbs
Posted before Dec-31-2007
Sexual inability, also known as erectile dysfunction in males, has emerged to be a sever problem affecting millions of men worldwide. In effect, erectile dysfunction denotes the lack of ability of a male to achieve and/ or sustain a penile erection for a substantial period of time during sexual intercourse. According to several studies, over 30 per cent of men all over the world are suffering from this male sexual disorder.
It may be noted here that impotence, particularly erectile dysfunction, is not considered to be an ailment, but a condition that may be caused by one or several basic aspects, including biological as well as psychological. A few of the reasons for this male sexual disorder may include aspects such as hormonal imbalance, diabetes, smoking, stress, anxiety, depression, alcoholism and specific medications. In fact, researches have shown that almost all men capable of sexual intercourse have experienced occasional erectile dysfunction at some point or other in their life. However, if occurs regularly, it becomes a matter of concern and requires treatment.
For many years, people were of the opinion that impotence in men was a result of psychological problems. However, now it has been ascertained that the inability to maintain a penile erection for a sufficiently long time during sexual intercourse is more often than not a fall-out of biological factors. In effect, present day scientists are gradually discovering that the longstanding repute of several herbs as effective medications for erectile dysfunction and other diseases or disorders have a scientific base. Contrary to the opinion held by some people earlier, the use of herbs for treating erectile dysfunction or male impotency is not unfounded, but backed by logical researches.
For those familiar with herbal medicines, there are numerous herbs that have the potential to cure erectile dysfunction. In fact, a number of herbs are available that they are able to soothe the nerves, enhance the circulation of blood to the penis, per up the circulatory system as well as enhance the hormone intensity that involuntarily declines with advancing age. When people suffering from impotency take these indigenous herbs and enhancements prepared with the herbs as an element of a complete approach to cure the disorder, they can really be advantageous. It needs to be remembered that using natural herbs and herbal enhancements as substitutes of the more common, but hazardous pharmaceutical drugs is always more beneficial and have no side effects. Actually, there are numerous herbs and supplements prepared from the herbs that are effective in treating as well as curing erectile dysfunction or male impotency by taking care of the fundamental causes responsible for the symptom.
Origin of impotency
It is interesting to note that till some time back, most people were of the opinion that the majority of sexual weakness was simply a mental problem - they believed that it was more in the mind than in reality. Contrary to the view of several medical professionals who still consider that as much as 80 per cent of the sexual dysfunction in men is related to their sensations or to vague psychological aspects, contemporary scientific studies have proved that such straightforward estimates are just no more comprehensible or reliable. It is a fact that emotions do have some role in male impotency, as the levels of testosterone in the body are able to plummet owing to despair, exhaustion, tension, overburden and inadequate sleep. However, the truth is that poor blood circulation as well as the damage of the nerve cells may also have adverse effects and result in male impotency.
It is important to bear in mind that impotence may also be a result of prescription drugs, particularly some narcotics, tranquilizer, ulcer and high blood pressure medications. However, one cannot just hold pharmaceutical drugs responsible for impotency. In fact, a number of entertaining preparations, such as amphetamines, heroin and alcohol also have a negative impact on the sexual performance of a male. It may be mentioned here that recreational drugs like cocaine and amphetamines really invigorate the nerve cells that regulate ejaculation of sperms, but, at the same time, they are counter-productive as they also obstruct the functioning of another arrangement of nerves that are in command of sexual desires in an individual. Hence, when anyone takes these recreational drugs to enhance their sexual performance, the consequences are actually counter-productive - momentary sexual performance and lesser satisfaction.
Several researches have confirmed that approximately 25 per cent of men suffering from impotency or erectile dysfunction possess an excess of a pituitary hormone known as prolactin. The fact is that anxiety enhances prolactin, but if a male suffering from impotency thinks that he will be able to unwind with a beer ought to be aware of the fact that the presence of hops (a plant used to add essence to the drink) in beer actually increases prolactin to some extent and also augments estrogen. Consequently, this results in the decline of testosterone levels in the system. Actually, it is possible that the presence of the herb hops is responsible for people drinking lots of beer to endure hormonal changes and have expanded breasts and abdomens.
Three types of sexual incapacity
There are basically three types of male impotency - primary, secondary and one associated with advancing age. When a male is unable to achieve and/ or sustain a penile erection during a sexual intercourse tight from the start of his sexual activity, the condition is known as primary sexual impotency. However, when a male is able to achieve as well as sustain a penile erection during sexual intercourse, but fails occasionally owing to one or more reasons, he is said to be suffering from secondary impotence. In fact, secondary impotence is the most widespread form of male sexual dysfunction across the globe. The third type of male impotency is associated with advancing age when a man losses much of his vigor and vitality vis-ŕ-vis sexual activity.
Role of herbs in curing impotency
Men who want to overcome their sexual impotence should first survey the natural medications that offer respite. In fact, with the passing of each day, more and more men are opting for herbal medicines to cure their sexual impotence. Contrary to the practice of depending on pharmaceutical drugs, now men are realizing that the herbs are able to offer them a better and safer alternative to treat their sexual disorders. According to recent surveys, every one out of five persons today take some or the other type of herbal supplements for different reasons.
It may be mentioned here that the factors responsible for diminished sexual urge or libido in a male not only affect the kidneys, but also the sexual performance of a man. In fact, there are several natural therapies that contain elements precisely meant for treating these vital organs. In fact, there are many herbal supplements which when taken with diets help in fighting male sexual impotence.
Natural herbs used to cure impotence
- Ginkgo Biloba (Ginkgo Biloba)
- Many people use ginkgo biloba with a view to enhance their memory as well as hone concentration. In addition, the herb is also an effective cure for erectile dysfunction among men. Ginkgo biloba helps to augment the blood circulation, particularly in the blood vessels that are found just beneath the facade of the skin. While the herb increases the blood circulation, it does not add to the blood pressure. The traditional herbal medicine practitioners have recognized this herb as a valuable medication for curing erectile dysfunction as well as other sexual function syndromes. Use of this herb, indigenous to China, also helps in boosting endurance or staying power and perking up sensitivity. In fact, ginkgo biloba is especially effective and useful for men suffering from erectile dysfunction along with other problems like poor blood circulation or disorders owing to the use of anti-depressant medications.
- Yohimbe (Pausinystalia yohimbe)
- Yohimbe, also known as Pausinystalia yohimbe, is perhaps the most widely accepted therapeutic herb that is used to treat male sexual impotence these days. Yohimbe encloses a vigorous element called yohimbine that is not only acknowledged by most as an effective herb for treating sexual incapability in men, but has also proved to work amazingly to cure erectile dysfunction.
Indigenous to Africa, yohimbe has also proved effective in enhancing the power or prolong the time duration of ejaculation in men. However, the herb does not gel with majority of the men's concept regarding a genuine aphrodisiac. Although yohimbe normally has no role in enhancing the sexual excitement or arousal, many men deduce the herb's invigorating upshot in this way. Yohimbe works in two different ways - in a manner that is exactly opposite to how cocaine functions inside our body. While the herb actually boosts the functioning of the nerves that encourage sexual arousal in men, it also reduces the functioning of the nerves that kindle ejaculation. This in turn results in protracted as well as enhanced gratification during sexual intercourse. Here is a word of caution regarding the use of yohimbe. Before purchasing the herb for your heightening sexual pleasure, you ought to know that yohimbe works best among men who suffer from sexual dysfunction difficulties. While men suffering from erectile dysfunction benefit maximum from the use of yohimbe, the herb either has a mild exciting influence or no effect at all on men who do not suffer from any sexual disorder.
It may be noted here that it takes about half an hour for yohimbe to initiate reactions inside the body and the effect of the herb lasts for a couple of hours. In other words, men using the herb should take it at least 30 minutes prior to initiating sexual intercourse with their partners.
Many people may question that if yohimbe really possesses such superior powers to treat erectile dysfunction among men, why it is that physicians usually do not prescribe the herb for such patients. Although you may not be aware, the reply to this question is that doctors do recommend yohimbe for men enduring erectile dysfunction or other problems related to sexual impotency. As mentioned earlier, yohimbe encloses a potent compound called yohimbine that forms an important element in several drugs meant to cure sexual inability among men. The fact is that preparations made from yohimbine have proved to be very effective in treating male impotency, but the medications are available only if you have a valid prescription from a healthcare professional. Several researches have established that yohimbine helps to cure sexual incapacity owing to poor blood circulation, psychological problems or diabetes - all these are considered to be the basic causes for sexual dysfunction. It may be mentioned here that men suffering from any kind of sexual incapability should take medications prepared from yohimbe or its concentrate yohimbine for a number of months regularly to experience an enduring effect of the herb.
Men who have used yohimbine or drugs prepared from it have often complained of increased heart beat, high blood pressure and enhanced touchiness, dejection (depression), anxiety (stress) or vertigo - none of these actually arouse excitement. Hence, it is advisable that men suffering from high blood pressure or diabetes should strictly use yohimbine and medications prepared from it under the guidance of their physicians. At the same time, care must be taken not to use yohimbine along with dietary supplements, saleable nasal decongestants containing ephedrine, cheese, liver or red wine. It is important to remember that a combination of yohimbine and the substances mentioned above may often give rise to adverse aftereffects like headaches and nausea.
- Panax Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
- Panax ginseng, also referred to as Chinese ginseng, is frequently used for the herb's capability to perk up mental as well as physical vigor or strength. In fact, this herb has demonstrated tremendous potentiality among the herbs that are used to treat sexual impotency.
Several researched conducted in the Asian continent have demonstrated that men who took Panax ginseng regularly for around two to three months experienced better sexual function as well as increased sperm count and sensuality. Herbal enhancements prepared from Panax ginseng can also help to lessen weariness - one of the primary causes for male sexual impotence. The use of this herb is considered to be safe as its usage does not give rise to any complications or side effects. However, it needs to be mentioned that taking Panax ginseng in large dosages may lead to excessive stimulation and this in turn may cause insomnia and/ or tetchiness. When the herb is taken in combination with caffeine, it may also result in excessive excitement.
- Muira Puama (Ptychopetalum olacoides)
- Muira puama, scientific name Ptychopetalum olacoides, is native to Brazil and has been traditionally used as an aphrodisiac in most South American regions over the centuries with a view to invigorate the nerve cells. Muira puama is basically a shrub that many believe to be one of the best herbs available for treating male sexual dysfunction. A number of clinical studies with the muira puama have found the herb to be an excellent medication to treat erectile dysfunction in several men. However, like in the instance of most therapeutic herbs, scientists are of the view that more research needs to be undertaken with muira puama to learn more regarding its medicinal properties.
- Damiana (Turnera aphrodisiaca)
- The name of this herb suggests its use. In fact, damiana, whose scientific name is Turnera Aphrodisiaca, was used by the people of the primeval Mayan civilization, as an aphrodisiac or medication to induce sex. It has been found that damiana is effective in enhancing sexual desire as well as arousal among men. A number of researches have demonstrated that the herb enables men to achieve and sustain penile erection for longer periods of time and also delay the time of ejaculation. It is interesting to note that unlike many other herbs that are only helpful in treating male sexual dysfunction, damiana is also effective in augmenting sexual urge and gratification among females too.
- Fo-Ti (Polygonum multiflorum)
- Fo-ti, also known as Polygonum multiflorum biologically, is a Chinese therapeutic herb that has been in use since the regime of the ancient Tang dynasty. The Chinese name of the herb is he-shou-wu and is derived from the name of the person who was supposedly cured of his inability following the use of the herb. It has been found that fo-ti aids in lessening the fatty deposits in the blood and thereby perks up blood circulation. In turn, this aids in achieving and sustaining penile erection for a longer period. However, use of fo-ti is not free from minor side effects, as a number of people who are sensitive to the herb have complained of rashes or itchiness after taking medications prepared from the herb. Again, taking large doses of the herb, usually in excess of 15 grams, is likely to lead to numbness feeling of the limbs.
- Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia)
- The herb tongkat ali, scientifically called Eurycoma longifolia, has been traditionally used as a medication to cure sexual dysfunctions in males as well as females for thousands of years. It is interesting to note that despite being used as a therapeutic herb for several centuries, scientists as well as herbal medicinal practitioners are still engaged in ascertaining tongkat ali's yet unknown medicinal potentialities. Among many of the herb's traditional uses, tongkat ali is once again becoming popular for its use as an aphrodisiac or sex inducing properties. As mentioned earlier, tongkat ali seems to have the ability to augment the sexual desire in men as well as females. This property of the herb originates from its aptitude to augment the secretion of testosterone in the body. As lower level of testosterone in the body is one of the primary causes of sexual dysfunction, using supplements prepared from the herb is an effective way to cure sexual incapacity.
- Maca (Lepidium meyenii)
- Maca or Lepidium meyenii belongs to the mustard family and is a native of the highlands or moorland of Peru in South America where the herb is found in abundance. The herb is also fondly called the ‘Peruvian Ginseng' owing to its aptitude to enhance vigor, strength, staying power as well as sexual activity. However, maca is in no way related to ginseng, which is indigenous to Asia, especially China where it has been in use for hundreds of years. With the increase in the herb's popularity and acceptability in curing male sexual disorder, particularly erectile dysfunction, maca has been nicknamed ‘Peru's Natural Viagra'. In addition, maca also functions as an aphrodisiac or sex inducer and, at the same time, perks up the potency and sperm characteristics. Researches have demonstrated that maca functions by controlling the intensity of hormones and enzymes in the body. The herb possesses properties that help in augmenting energy production. Maca is an effective herbal medication to treat male sexual incapacity.
- Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium sagittatum, Epimedium grandiflorum)
- According to legend, the herb horny goat weed (scientifically known as Epimedium sagittatum or Epimedium grandiflorum) derived its name from a shepherd who took care of goats. This goat herder is supposed to have observed enhanced sexual activities among the animals after they ate this vegetation. The horny goat weed has been found to be an effective herbal medication to cure male sexual dysfunction as it aids in perking up blood circulation, lessen exhaustion, enhances sperm production and increases sexual craving in men. A permutation of consequences enables the males to attain and sustain penile erection, augment their staying power and endurance as well as improve the sexual performance on the whole. In addition, the horny goat weed also slows down the secretion of the enzyme called acetylcholinesterase (AChE). It may be mentioned here that this enzyme obstructs the crucial cholinergic neurotransmitters linked with sexual arousal or libido.
- Tribulus (Tribulus terrestris)
- Tribulus, biologically called Tribulus terrestris, is a significant herb in the list of aromatic plants that are used to treat sexual dysfunction. Several studies have demonstrated that the herb enhances the levels of testosterone, especially among men who have low levels of the substance, and, at the same time, perk up sexual craving. Tribulus basically functions at the hormonal plane by enhancing production of hormones that release gonadotropin (Gonadotropin-releasing hormones or GnRH). Consecutively, the increase in GnRH augments LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) which again boost the secretion of testosterone. Use of this herb is considered to be safe as it does not give rise to any complication or side effect. However, a number of men using the herb have sporadically complained of stomach upsets.
- False Unicorn (Chamaelirium luteum)
- The false unicorn (scientific name Chamaelirium luteum) is a perennial herb that is native to North America and found in abundance in the east of the Mississippi. The herb is a valuable stimulant for the reproductive system and helps in curing any type of female sexual disorder. False unicorn enhances secretory responses and the cyclical functions of the ovary. The steroidal saponins contained in the herb are antecedents of estrogens and are likely to be responsible for false unicorn's repute as an ovarian and uterine tonic. Chamaelirin present in false unicorn plays an important role in the treatment of amenorrhoea, dysmenorrhoea, irregular menstruation, vaginal discharge, pelvic congestion and structural laxity of the pelvic organs. The substance is also especially useful in treating chronic pelvic inflammation such as chronic salpingitis, and for the hormonal adjustment problems that are a part of the menopause. Traditionally the herb was used to prevent miscarriage and has a reputation for improving fertility caused by dysfunction in follicular formation.
Other natural cures and enhancements for treating impotence
In addition to the herbs discussed above, numerous herbal medications for treating erectile dysfunction are available in the market these days. While a number of them are basically used to cure sexual sterility, others have diverse primary uses, with enhanced sexual health being a constructive aftereffect. A number of such herbs include ashwagandha, guarana, saw palmetto, garlic, pygeum and bureau superb. In fact, vitamins and minerals together with amino acids too have demonstrated strong potentialities. For instance arginine, zinc, carnitine, niacin, pycnogenol and DHEA are all fine options. In addition to these, many people have also used acupuncture and massage as natural methods to cure sexual incapacity.
Before we wrap up this discussion, it is important to mention that herbs should be used to treat impotence strictly under the guidance of professional medical practitioners. For correct treatment, it is also essential to recognize the primary causes for the sexual dysfunction before selecting the herbs or medications prepared from specific herbs. In fact, a qualified medical practitioner or healthcare professional is the best person to guide one's treatment. This will help in keeping away from the undesirable interactions between the herbs and other prescription drugs.