Bulb onion, which is also known as common onion, is amongst the most extensively cultivated species belonging to the genus Allium worldwide. The other species belonging to this genus include Egyptian onion (botanical name A. x proliferum), Japanese bunching onion (A. fistulosum) and Canada onion (A. canadense) - all these are grown for food. Several species belonging to the genus Allium are also referred to as ‘wild onion'. While onion is generally a biennial plant, it may also be perennial or triennial.
In ancient times, the Greeks valued onion highly and also consumed it in large amounts. Besides being cultivated from very ancient times, onion also possesses a number of therapeutic properties, such as being a diuretic, decongestant and others and has been used by people in several cultures throughout centuries. During the Middle Ages, the potent aroma of onion was believed to help in preventing infections and many people dangled this food plant outside their homes to keep the plague at bay. Onion makes the eyes and nose begin to water and it is also used in homeopathic medication for treating health conditions which result in similar reactions in the body, for instance flu (influenza) and colds. In this context, it may be mentioned that noted German physician Dr. Constantine Hering proved the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa in 1847.
Individuals who respond well to the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa are those who often suffer from mental conditions, including anxiety, melancholy, and fear of pain as well as insipidness of mind.
Onion is one of the most familiar food plants as most of us use it in cooking. In addition, it is also a proven and genuine medical element that has been used by people for several centuries. Therefore, it is not surprising that this plant is used in homeopathy and the homeopathic remedy prepared from it has been used by people over the centuries for treating a number of ailments.
The action of onion to make the eyes and nose of healthy people to water is generally considered to be somewhat useful in homeopathy. People rely on the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa since it is believed that the core of this medication possesses a number of diuretic as well as decongestant properties, which is thought to help in eliminating various infections. The whole mature onion bulb is dug out of the earth during summer, cleaned and sliced. Subsequently, the chopped onion pieces are infused in alcohol for a period of approximately 10 days and succussed (shaken repetitively). When this process is complete, the resultant solution is strained, watered down and succussed again. The remnant of this process is the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa, which many people depend on to cure several health conditions they may be enduring.
Basically, the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa is employed to treat coughs and colds that are marked by copious, diluted catarrh that causes the skin to be irritated as well as sore. These symptoms generally occur when one has exposed himself/ herself to cold weather conditions and moist winds. These conditions may also be related to hay fever, particularly when they occur together with sensitivity to the fragrance of flowers. In addition, Allium cepa is also given to people who are enduring a scorching neuralgic pain that shifts alternately from one side of the body to another.
The bulb of the onion is used, harvested when mature.
Homeopathic physicians are of the view that Allium cepa is effective for treating medical conditions that occur together with the symptoms that are comparable to those caused when exposed to red onions - tearing of the eyes and a blazing, watery nose.
The homeopathic remedy Allium cepa is mainly employed to treat any ailment that is accompanied by a burning or neuralgic soreness that shifts alternately from one side of the body to another, or a copious, lucid, diluted, tingling discharge. In effect, this remedy is most suitable for treating hay fever and colds accompanied by teary, streaming eyes, persistent sneezing and profuse, burning discharge from the nostrils which is responsible for sore upper lips and nostrils. It is important to note that in such cases only one nostril is affected at one time as the discharge alternates from one nostril to another. People suffering from this condition generally experience swollen eyes and eyelids.
In addition, Allium cepa is helpful in easing stitching neuralgic pain that is related to toothache, especially in the molar tooth wherein the soreness travels throughout the mouth - from one tooth to another tooth. This homeopathic remedy is also recommended for people who are enduring the initial stages of laryngitis accompanied by coughs and hoarse voice. Some of the condition specific uses of Allium cepa are discussed briefly below.
- Neuralgic pains
- Allium cepa is an excellent homeopathic remedy to treat neuralgic pains, which are accompanied by piercing, burning pain or pains that shift from one side of the body to another alternately. People suffering from this condition usually have pain in their head, neck as well as the chest. This pain may have its origin in headaches at the back of the brow or an earache. In addition, this homeopathic remedy is given to people enduring phantom limb pains following an amputation. Such pains may be caused owing to a simple headache or a toothache.
- Eye irritation
- As a homeopathic remedy, Allium cepa is useful in treating eye irritations, especially those that are accompanied by an irksome secretion resulting in a compulsion to rub the eyes. In this case, the eyes become flushed, swollen and scratchy and they may also become very sensitive to exposure to light.
- Homeopathic practitioners recommend the use of Allium cepa for catarrh that is diluted, persistent and this that has the aptitude to singe in the skin of the nose as well as the upper lip over a period of time. When there is copious catarrh, the nose and even the upper lips may bleed and become tender. In such cases, Allium cepa is used to facilitate the body in restraining this type of catarrh as well as the continuous sneezing that takes place owing to the excessive catarrh. This symptom is widespread in colds, flu, hay fever as well as several other types of irritations.
- Throat and chest infections
- Allium cepa is an appropriate homeopathic remedy for treating tender throat or any cough that is marked by an excruciating, ripping feeling inside the throat. People suffering from such conditions may have a compulsion to suppress the cough since it keeps irritating the throat continuously. Sometimes, such pain may even spread to the ear. The symptoms are likely to emerge faster when the patients come in contact with cold air or following a cold that occurs together with strenuous, gasping breathing. Frequently, such conditions also onset with an aching infection inside the throat and develops into laryngitis related to hoarse voice. Using the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa in such conditions is likely to aid in restraining the strenuous breathing when the cough settles inside the chest. Alternately, this remedy may also work to facilitate the body in completely eliminating the infection.
The homeopathic remedy Allium cepa may be of great use to the patient who is enduring eye irritation as well as irksome nasal secretions. Irrespective of the reason that might have caused the condition, such as hay fever, a spring cold or airborne irritants, Allium cepa works rapidly to provide relief to the bothersome eyes, nose and throat pains and also eases headaches, hoarseness and hacking coughs that are associated with this condition. The symptoms of these conditions generally deteriorate during cold weather conditions and also in airless rooms.
People who respond best to the homeopathic remedy Allium cepa are those who are inclined to suffer from intense fretfulness, a panic regarding pain and, occasionally, just about an insipidness of the mind. People who require this particular homeopathic remedy most are those who are likely to suffer from a melancholic feeling at times, but may possibly not always show any precise emotional symptoms related to depression or melancholy. Allium cepa is one homeopathic remedy that may be used to treat an assortment of health conditions as well as various types of people as it offers help in treating a number of widespread conditions, for instance cold and flu.
The homeopathic remedy Allium cepa is prepared from red onions which are collected during the middle of the summer. The onion bulbs are sliced and battered to prepare a pulp and subsequently blended with water and alcohol during many stages of intense dilution.
BACK TO TOP