White Bryony / Wild Hops
The famous ancient Greek physician and botanist belonging to the first century CE Pedanius Dioscorides had promoted the use of bryony for treating infected (gangrenous) wounds, while the primeval Greeks and Romans employed this herb to treat various conditions, such as coughs, vertigo, epilepsy, gout and even paralysis. During the 17th century, English herbalist Nicholas Culpeper discovered that bryony was effective in treating coughs, phlegm as well as shortness of breath. Way back in 1834, renowned German physician Samuel Hahnemann established the homeopathic remedy Bryonia that is typically used to treat diseases that are slow-starting and occur together with pain even when there is very minimum movement.
The homeopathic remedy Bryonia is primarily given to people who have a tendency to become extremely touchy when they fall ill. People who require this homeopathic medication generally lead a clean life and are scrupulous and can just become the opposite and unpredictable when they are ailing. They demand things, but when are provided with those items, they refuse them promptly. Such people are likely to feel exhausted, lethargic, taciturn (lack any desire to converse) and also irritated when they are bothered. In addition, they generally suffer from anxiety, particularly regarding their fiscal security.
Bryonia is especially indicated for treating physical symptoms wherein the patient experiences pain even when there is bare minimum movement on his/ her part. Often, this condition is accompanied by sporadic bouts of intense thirst as well as dehydrated lips, mouth and even the eyes. The ailment takes root gradually, usually following an excessive exposure to heat or cold. In addition the homeopathic remedy Bryonia is also effective for treating conditions like terrible headaches, inflammation of the chest, rheumatic pains and pneumonia. This medication may also be given to ease some types of constipation as well as breast pain.
It is possible that you may not be acquainted with the name Bryonia, but the fact remains that this homeopathic remedy has some incredible historic origins. Bryony, the herb which forms the source of this homeopathic remedy, is very common and for several centuries, people have been familiar with it for its therapeutic properties.
While bryony is solely employed for therapeutic reasons owing to the high levels of toxicity of this plant, it is used for a wide range of purposes that range from disinfecting wounds to even alleviating paralysis. Hence, it is not surprising that when the homeopathic world discovered bryony, it was apparent that the plant would be employed for its exceptionally dissimilar curative properties.
Several years have passed since Bryonia was discovered in the form of a homeopathic remedy and ever since it has been of immense importance within homeopathy.
Bryonia is prepared from the root of the herb called bryony. The roots are dug out of the ground during the beginning of spring and an extract is obtained by compressing the root pulp blended with alcohol to prepare a highly diluted solution.
This homeopathic remedy is mainly used to cure coughs, terrible headaches, flu as well as other severe ailments that set in gradually and are accompanied with pain when the patient makes the slightest movement. In addition, Bryonia is also useful for treating the inflamed lining of the joints, abdomen, and chest as well as given to people enduring osteoarthritis and rheumatism, wherein the joints are aching, hot and distended.
Bryonia is also useful in treating a number of other health conditions, such as pneumonia as well as pleurisy accompanied with acute throbbing chest close to the rib cage, colic, and constipation. It is best for treating physical symptoms like a heavy sensation in the eyelids, a sharp pain, profuse sweating, and a tightened throat.
Some of the condition specific uses of the homeopathic remedy Bryonia are discussed in brief below.
- Cold and influenza (flu)
- Patients who endure physical symptoms like reddened, tender and distended nose, a hoarse and tightened throat as well as a dry cough may find the homeopathic remedy Bryonia beneficial. Such patients generally have cracked and itchy lips, while their mouth is dehydrated and there is a white coating on the tongue. They may also experience shooting pain in the ear and endure tender eyes and heavy eyelids accompanied by sensitivity to even slightest movement. The other physical symptoms of patients requiring Bryonia may include an acute and terrible headache, an intense thirst as well as profuse sweating.
- Dry coughs
- Bryonia is an ideal homeopathic remedy for people who suffer from tremendous dehydration in the mouth, throat, mucous membranes and chest accompanied by an irritating cough and stabbing chest pain. The patient generally finds relief from headaches, pain in the rib cage or the chest when he/ she presses the chest when there is a cough outburst. In addition, they feel better when they lie down and breathe lightly. Such coughs may be associated with pleurisy, colds or even bronchitis.
- People requiring Bryonia are those who endure a rupturing, splitting headache on their forehead or above the left eye and even the slightest movement of the eyeball hurts them. The pain gradually spreads to the rear of the head and, subsequently, to their entire head and usually the condition continues for the whole day. In such cases, the patients may have dehydrated mouth and may experience an intense thirst.
- Joint pain
- When the joints as well as the muscles become hot, distended and rigid accompanied by a sharp pain, normally owing to arthritis, gout or tenosynovitis or following any type of injury, using the homeopathic remedy Bryonia provides relief from the symptoms.
- Breast problems
- Bryonia is an effective homeopathic remedy for treating breast that turn pale, hot and firm accompanied by piercing pains, especially in pregnant women or nursing mothers. In the case of nursing mothers, the supply of breast milk may be in excess.
- People enduring constipation, wherein they have large, solid stools that appear to be black or singed need the homeopathic remedy Bryonia. In this case, the rectum of the patients is likely to be especially dehydrated accompanied by a very strong pain following passing stool. Such patients may generally experience a rumbling and colicky pain in their abdominal region.
It is worth mentioning here that the homeopathic remedy Bryonia works on all the serous membranes and even the viscera contained by them. People who require this remedy are those who experience aches in all their muscles. In this case, the typical nature of the pain caused is tearing, stitching and the condition deteriorates when there is even the slightest movement. These patients feel better when they are lying down or resting. The typical stitching pain that is worsened very much due to any kind of motion is present all over the body, particularly in the chest. All the mucous membranes of the patients become dehydrated. Generally, patients requiring Bryonia are tetchy; have vertigo when they raise their head and suffer from intense headache; have dehydrated lips and mouth and experience an intense thirst; they have a bitter taste, and have a sensation of having a stone in their stomach; experience rheumatic soreness and inflammations; suffer from dry coughs, and/ or have large and hard stools.
The homeopathic remedy Bryonia helps to alleviate ailments that develop gradually, continue for a prolonged period and may be a result of being chilled when excessively heated or from rapid changes in the weather conditions. People who response best to Bryonia often have a dehydrated, annoying cough accompanied with stitching pains, throbbing bones, fevers borne by coldness, an intense thirst for cold water, arid throat as well as an attitude that says that they do not like to be touched or bothered. Bryonia also helps to provide relief from constipation and nausea caused by flatulent foods. In effect, the patients may have the same common behaviour as well as experience great pressure following eating anything even after Bryonia has relieved them from nausea. People having gastric flu accompanied by a throbbing in the stomach and a bitter taste can be alleviated solely by burping.
Bryonia is reputed for alleviating severe, bursting headaches over the forehead that may possibly extend to the entire head and the patient enduring this condition would dislike being shifted or shaken in any manner. Such patients feel very much better when they bury their head below a pillow in a dark room.
The homeopathic remedy Bryonia may also be effective in curing joint pains possibly caused by any injury, strain or old age. This remedy is also extremely useful for alleviating stitching or sharp pain as well as rigidity in the comparatively narrow lumber region of the back and also in the neck. It has been found that most pains that are cured by Bryonia are relieved when pressure is applied on the affected area or the sufferers lie on their aching side with a view to avoid any movement.
From the constitutional aspect, Bryonia is most suitable for people who are dependable and have a clean lifestyle, but are always in anxiety regarding their monetary security. If they fail in any of their endeavours, they are likely to be overcome by a grouchy petulance as they may be gripped by depression. Such people usually deal with their life and work very systematically without allowing their emotions to create any hindrance. Moreover, such people are generally very demanding while suffering from any ailment. In addition, they normally succumb to their anger and irritation when anything makes them feel bothered. It has been found that people requiring this homeopathic remedy most are mostly full of concern very frequently.
The homeopathic remedy Bryonia is prepared from the herb called bryony, whose roots are dug out from the ground prior to the blooming of the plant. Subsequently, the roots are cleaned, sliced, made into a pulp and infused in alcohol for about 10 days.
After 10 days of maceration, the resultant solution is watered down and succussed (shaken continuously). The remnant is the homeopathic remedy Bryonia, which does not contain even the slightest trace of the original plant. Bryonia is of great importance to people who have been enduring an assortment of health condition, but it has a tendency to work most excellently for illnesses that set in gradually and occur together with pain.