Chelidonium majus (common name celandine) is a perennial plant that grows rapidly to a height of 0.5 meter. This herb blooms during the period between May and August and its seeds are mature by July to September. The flowers of Chelidonium majus, also known as wart weed, are hermaphrodite in nature (denoting that they possess both the male as well as the female organs). Besides, having the aptitude to self-pollinate, the flowers of this herb are generally pollinated by bees, beetles and flies.
Since celandine blooms while the swallows migrate, the famous 1st century CE Greek physician and botanist Pedanius Dioscorides had named this plant after the Greek khelidon, meaning swallow in English. The sap of this herb has been used in traditional medicine as a remedy for skin complains and disorders of the liver and gallbladder. German physician Samuel Hahnemann was the first to prove the efficacy of this homeopathic remedy and also published his findings in his Materia Medica Pura (1821-1834).
Characteristically, Chelidonium is associated with a violent and dominating character. People who respond best to this homeopathic remedy also have a propensity to be realistic, instead of being intellectual. They generally dislike wasting time to explore their sentiments. People who require this homeopathic remedy most have a number of distinctive symptoms, including a longing for cheese and hot beverages. In addition, they also experience some sort of heaviness and the symptoms have a tendency to occur on the right side of the patient.
Although the common name of this plant may not be very familiar, it has been used for several centuries to treat a number of health conditions. In earlier times, the sap of Chelidonium majus or celandine was employed to treat almost all health problems ranging from skin complaints to gallbladder disorders. In homeopathy, this plant was discovered centuries before and presently has earned a familiar status in healing.
In present times, Chelidonium is basically used to treat disorders of the liver or spleen, gallbladder, kidney, intestine as well as problems related to the lungs. In addition this homeopathic remedy may also be given to patients who have undergone surgeries pertaining to gallstones or hepatitis.
Flowering plant, roots.
Consistent with the Doctrine of Signatures, the yellow sap obtained from Chelidonium majus denoted that it was useful for treating liver disorders, for instance jaundice. However, the fact is that the juice of this plant is toxic. Chelidonium majus is commonly referred to as the wart weed for the plant's ability to eliminate warts and it is a member of the plant family to which poppy belongs.
The homeopathic remedy Chelidonium is useful for problems related to the liver and bile, such as indigestion, gallstones, hepatitis and jaundice. Typically, people who need this medication often experience a throbbing pain on the lower area of their right shoulder blade, accompanied with nausea, stomach upset, vomiting and perhaps also a swelling of the upper part of the abdomen. The abdominal problems are generally eased when the patient passes stool.
People requiring the homeopathic remedy Chelidonium normally feel nauseous or ‘liverish' and also experience depression accompanied by a dull headache when they are suffering from any ailment. In addition, their complexion also changes to sallow and yellowish. In such conditions, the patient may feel hot in one foot, while cold in the other.
Some of the condition specific uses of Chelidonium are discussed briefly below.
- Chelidonium is an excellent homeopathic remedy for gallstones. People requiring this medication generally experience a sharp, continuous pain on the higher right side of their abdomen, at the back of the ribs, perhaps owing to any gallstone that is shut in a bile duct. It is worth mentioning that this pain may be similar to that of hepatitis. The condition usually worsens when the patient has foods rich in fat content and this may result in the pain spreading to the back as well as his right shoulder blade. In addition, the patients may also experience vomiting, queasiness as well as inflamed bile duct, which may cause jaundice or inflamed gallbladder.
- People enduring headaches may also find the homeopathic remedy Chelidonium beneficial. In such cases, people have a feeling of heaviness on the right part of their head. They may also experience numbness of the face and neuralgia, particularly in the area above their eyes. They are also likely to have a yellow coating on their tongue that retains the marks formed by their teeth. In fact, all these symptoms may possibly be related to any existing liver problem.
- People suffering from hepatitis have a distended liver accompanied with pain that spreads to their back as well as their right shoulder blade. In addition, they have a jaundiced, yellowish complexion. Such patients generally have a feeling that their abdomen is swollen and tight, like being bound. They may also have a powerful longing or loathing for cheese. Hepatitis patients will find Chelidonium useful in providing relief from their symptoms as well as treating the conditions.
- Those suffering from pneumonia usually experience breathlessness and pain when they are coughing or taking deep breaths. In this case, the disease mainly has an effect on the right lung and the patient may perhaps also suffer from liver disorders. In case you are suffering from pneumonia, use of the homeopathic remedy Chelidonium will prove to be useful in curing the ailments and also providing relief from the symptoms related to the disease.
- Shoulder pain
- In this case, the patient will have aching shoulders accompanied with chilliness in the tips of the fingers and muscles, which ache when touched. In some instances, shoulder pain may be related to sweating and nausea. Chelidonium is effective in easing all these symptoms as well as curing the condition.
Individuals who seem to derive immense benefit from using the homeopathic remedy Chelidonium generally have a propensity to be aggressive and more or less authoritarian in their behaviour. Provided such people are more realistic instead of being intellectuals, they are likely to respond better to treatment with Chelidonium. Such people usually have a sensation that demonstrating their sentiments is actually a complete waste of time. Most such people may be suffering from a basic liver problem which may add to or even result in a number of symptoms of conditions they are suffering from.
Chelidonium is one homeopathic medication that has shown to have anti-tumour as well as anti-genotoxic actions. Moreover, this remedy also modulates activities of a number of enzymes positively. It has been found that the micro doses of Chelidonium may possibly be used successfully to treat liver cancer.
Raw extracts from Chelidonium majus as well as the distilled amalgams obtained from the crude extract of this plant, commonly known as wart weed, have reportedly shown to possess anti-inflammatory, anti-viral as well as anti-microbial attributes in vitro as also in vivo. The homeopathic remedy Chelidonium is regularly used to treat various liver problems, counting liver cancer in humans. Scientists have examined two potencies of Chelidonium (Ch-30 and Ch-200) for their probable enzyme modulating as well as anti-tumour actions on the liver, in addition to anti-clastogenic consequences at some stages in hepatocarinogenesis encouraged by p-DAB in mice in comparison to appropriate controls.
The homeopathic remedy Chelidonium has proved to be effective in treating a number of health conditions, including fullness and distension; clogging or inflammation; partially and also severely chronic instances. It is also suitable for relieving the right hypochondrium when it is strained and throbbing when pressure is applied.
Chelidonium is an effective homeopathic remedy for curing gallstone colic. Practitioners of homeopathic remedies, who are familiar with the manner of using this medication, are able to alleviate gallstone colic within minutes. In fact, there are remedies that work on the rounded fibers of these small tubes making them loosen up and let the stone pass through without the patient experiencing any pain.
It is worth mentioning here that people who are perfectly healthy definitely do not have any stone in the bile, which is held within the gallbladder. However, this small cystic tube opens up a little at the entrance and a tiny gallstone is absorbed by it, thereby causing irritation by means of scraping the length of the mucus membrane of that small duct.
The homeopathic remedy Chelidonium is effective in alleviating the pain when it is shooting, sharp and ripping while spreading throughout the back.
It is worth mentioning that the homeopathic medication Chelidonium was found through homeopathy and over the years, uses of this homeopathic remedy have increased considerably.
Chelidonium is prepared using the entire flowering plant or the root. For this take the plant Chelidonium majus (common name celandine) and slice it or its roots. Prepare a pulp of the herb and marinate it in alcohol for a minimum of 10 days. Subsequently, dilute the resultant solution and keep stirring and shaking it periodically. The resultant solution is the homeopathic remedy Chelidonium which does not contain even the slightest hint of the actual plant and works excellently in treating a number of health conditions.
BACK TO TOP