The homeopathic remedy conium is derived from the hemlock plant, a species belonging to the Conium genus comprising of extremely toxic perennial herbaceous flowering plants in the Apiaceae family. The hemlock plant has its origin in Europe, particularly Britain, Africa and different regions of Asia and is known to be related to other species, such as fennel and parsley. However, hemlock's similarity with parsley and fennel does not go too far, since hemlock is an extremely poisonous plant, while the other two are not. Each and every part of the hemlock plant encloses an extremely toxic concoction of alkaloids that is sedative or narcotic. Consumption of even a small part of this plant results in paralysis of all the motor functions in our body and that includes the cardiac as well as the respiratory systems and causes death soon after.
In no way can the hemlock pant be described as eye-catching. This plant bears drawn out and lean stems with meagre leaves that resembles those of the parsley emerging at joints. The plant produces bunches of pale white flowers. Often, the hemlock may turn out to be lanky plant growing up to six feet in height with its stems containing spots that are reddish-purple in color.
Interestingly enough, the ancient Greeks used this poisonous plant as a ‘state poison' to execute criminals. On the other hand, the Romans, especially herbalists Pliny and Dioscorides, had made use of the herb for medicinal purposes for treating skin problems as well as disorders of the liver and the nervous system. In addition to being used as an analgesic, the Romans also used the hemlock plant or formulations prepared from it to treat cancer, breast cancer and high libido or excessive sexual urge. Greek philosopher Socrates was killed by administering a cup of poison extracted from hemlock in 399 B.C. Another Greek philosopher Plato documented Socrates' execution and described it as progressing paralysis that eventually caused the latter's death by suffocation (asphyxiation) by means of paralyzing his respiratory system.
As aforementioned, the homeopathic remedy conium is derived from the hemlock plant that has been traditionally used for centuries in an assortment of dissimilar methods by the medical community. While the founder of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann, had established the medicinal properties of this herb way back in 1825, over the years, conium, prepared from hemlock, has proved to be somewhat beneficial as well as effective for treating several health conditions.
It is important to note that the homeopathic medicine conium is prepared using the fresh flowering hemlock plants along with their roots. Subsequently, the herb is crushed and macerated in alcohol and diluted. Prior to the diluting process, the solution is succussed. The end product is the effective homeopathic remedy conium that does not retain any of the traits of the toxic hemlock plant. While the process involved in preparing conium should be undertaken very cautiously, the homeopathic medicine itself has proved to be very effective in treating a number of health conditions.
The homeopathic remedy conium is most appropriate for individuals who have dull minds owing to some ailment and this may make them feel tired or have a sensation that they are simply non-existent. Such people usually have an inclination to be fixed to specific conceptions and may also frequently have a feeling of being money-oriented at some or other phase in their life. However, it is likely that at a later point in their life such individuals may even lose all interest in their ownerships. Nevertheless, simultaneously, such people may also have a dislike for the company of other people. Administration of conium helps to ease all the symptoms mentioned above.
Individuals who are said to be of the conium type are generally greedy as well as money-oriented when they are young. However, as they age they are averse towards material objects and wealth and may even dislike the company of others. When such people suffer from any ailment they are remorse and suffer from depression. At the same time, it seems that their intellectual power comes to a standstill, so much so that they may even seem to be in a state of unconsciousness. Such individuals may be very inactive when ill and extremely sensitive to bright light and sound.
Leaves, roots and flowering stems of hemlock plant.
Conium, the homeopathic remedy prepared from the hemlock plants, has numerous uses and, hence, is prescribed to treat a number of dissimilar health conditions. In homeopathy, this medicine is generally used to treat glandular enlargements, for instance, cancerous tumors, particularly in the breast. In addition, conium is also prescribed by homeopaths to cure nervous disorders accompanied by slowly progressing paralysis in the muscles that starts in the feet and moves upwards. People who suffer from this type of paralysis generally also become very sensitive to bright light.
Apart from the conditions mentioned here, this homeopathic medicine is also administered to people enduring symptoms, such as dizziness that deteriorates when the individual is lying down or turning his/ her head. It is also recommended for women who endure tender breasts prior to as well as during their menstrual cycles and also when they are pregnant. Conium is prescribed for men suffering from enlarged prostate as well as those who have premature ejaculation.
As aforementioned, the homeopathic medicine conium is useful in effectively treating several diverse health conditions. Below is a brief discussion on the condition specific uses of conium.
- It may be noted that in homeopathy, conium is the main therapy for vertigo. This condition worsens when the individual turns his/ her head from on side to another, is looking around or turning in the bed while lying down. Vertigo is very common among elderly people and those suffering from this condition have a sensation as if their bed is floating. On many occasions, vertigo deteriorates when the individual is inebriated. People who experience vertigo soon after getting up from their bed, particularly in the early morning, may suddenly fall on the ground. In addition, conium is also beneficial to treat incapacity and weakness among old people. People suffering from vertigo usually do not have the tendency to take up any business or study. In fact, such type of people virtually does not take interest in anything. In addition, they suffer from poor memory and are not in a position to carry on with any mental effort. When they are excited for any reason, people suffering from vertigo actually become susceptible to depression. They may also start perspiring all through the day, even at night, the moment they sleep or even when they keep their eyes closed. The homeopathic remedy conium is effective in treating all the conditions as well as provides relief from the bothersome symptoms of the condition.
- The homeopathic remedy prepared from the hemlock plant, conium is also effective in easing headaches that may be a result of a blow or falling down; too much sexual activities; stimulation or over exertion of oneself as well as held back menses. People suffering from such type of headache often have a feeling that there are plenty of alien substances in the head and this is accompanied by a numbness or lack of sensation of the brain. Often this type of headache causes a tearing pain compelling the sufferers to lie down. Administration of conium is useful in alleviating these symptoms as well as providing relief from the pain.
- Eye troubles
- In addition to treating the above conditions and related symptoms, conium is also prescribed by homeopaths to ease troubles in the eye that may be a result of any injury or blow; or caused by any artificial light. Although people enduring such type of eye trouble do not have any inflammation in the eye, they have a strong dislike for light. In other words, such people suffer from acute photophobia (fear of being exposed to light), which is accompanies by weakness as well as sensation of some kind of reflection in the eye. They may usually suffer from dizziness as well as weakness too. The pain in the eye deteriorates during the night and also when they are exposed to slightest amount of light. However, people suffering from such eye trouble feel better when they are in any dark room and when there is pressure on them. Using the homeopathic medicine conium helps to alleviate all these symptoms and provide relief to the sufferers.
- Menstrual problems
- The homeopathic remedy conium is effective in curing a number of health problems suffered by women. This medicine is particularly useful for aged women who are in their climacteric age. In other words, this homeopathic remedy is beneficial for women who are experiencing certain changes in their body, especially during menopause. Women also experience red pimples emerging all over their body and this symptom is eased when the menstrual flow is regularized. Very often such women also endure tender breasts, which become very firm and painful during their menstrual periods. They may also suffer from leucorrhoea (a whitish or yellowish mucous discharge from the vagina usually indicating an infection) 10 days after their menstrual period is over. All such conditions and well as related symptoms are effectively healed by administering the homeopathic remedy conium.
- Urinary problems
- People suffering from urinary problems wherein they experience pain and difficulty in passing urine may benefit immensely by turning to the homeopathic remedy conium. Some people may even experience urinary troubles where the flow of urine is intermittent - the urine passes for sometime, stops and then starts flowing again. The urine flow may stop owing to tension caused by an enlarged prostate. While all these symptoms are effectively treated by administering conium, this homeopathic remedy is also prescribed to curing all types of glandular affections. In such instances, the glands become hard like rock as well as distended especially the mammary glands and the testicles. In addition, conium is also effective for treating malignant glandular affections.
- Sexual problems
- The homeopathic medicine conium is also effective in treating various sexual disorders. Several men use this homeopathic remedy when they suffer from an acute type of sexual excitement wherein they may suffer from impotency and/ or premature ejaculation. In the instance of women, such extreme sexual excitement may be demonstrated by too much discharge from the vagina or even abnormal or irregular menstrual cycles. When such individuals suffer from held back sexual activities, they tend to suffer from nervous anxiety. All such sexual problems may be cured by using the homeopathic remedy conium, prepared from the hemlock plant.
- Enlarged prostate
- Men suffering from enlarged prostate are also benefitted by using the homeopathic medicine conium. Such men may experience hard and heavy prostate and suffer from a palpable interruption of urine flow. In addition to the sensation of having a heavy prostate, such men may have discharges from the penis or even suffer from impotency. In homeopathy, conium is the appropriate remedy for these symptoms.
- Cysts, tumors and cancer
- People suffering from these conditions actually experience hard lumps emerging all over their body, for instance, testicles, prostate, ovaries, breasts and/ or uterus. The homeopathic remedy conium is appropriated for curing such conditions. In addition, this homeopathic medicine is effective in providing relief from associated symptoms, such as pain and itchiness too.
- Swollen breasts
- Occasionally, some women may suffer from a condition wherein their breasts become enlarged as well as hard. In such instances, they endure pain when the breasts are touched. As a homeopathic remedy, conium works effectively to alleviate this condition as well as the bothersome feelings that are associated with it. It has been observed that this condition is quite common when women have their menstrual cycles.
- Nervous disorders
- People who suffer from nervous disorders often feel cold and weak in their legs. In addition, they may also feel giddy and be sensitive to light. At the same time, such people may experience weakness all over their body. Turning to the homeopathic remedy conium helps to cure these symptoms effectively.
The homeopathic remedy conium is derived from the toxic plant hemlock which is native to Europe, particularly Britain, North America (the United States and Canada), Africa, Chile and certain regions in Asia.
BACK TO TOP