The homeopathic remedy gelsemium is prepared using the freshly obtained roots of the twisting yellow jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) vine belonging to the Gelsemiaceae family and is used to treat pain and respiratory problems, especially those symptoms that are akin to those caused by gelsemium poisoning.
With adequate climbing support in trees, the yellow jessamine wines with their slender stems are capable of growing up to a height of 3 meters to 6 meters. The shiny and deep green leaves of this vine are evergreen growing throughout the year and are lance shaped growing up to 5 cm to 10 cm in length and 1.5 cm across. The flowers of this vine grow in clusters and each flower is around 3 cm in length and between 2.5 cm and 3.0 cm wide. Usually, the flowers have a resemblance to trumpet and have a yellowish hue, but some of them may have an orange color in the center. The flowers of yellow jessamine are potently aromatic and produce nectar, which helps to attract a wide variety of pollinators, including insects. In fact, several people have enjoyed the sweet fragrance of jessamine for centuries. Apart from its pleasant fragrance and nectar, the utility of this plant was discovered in homeopathy several years ago.
It is important to note that every part of the yellow jessamine vine encloses the alkaloids gelsemine and gelseminine related to the toxic substance called strychnine and, hence, it is not suitable for human consumption. Some people having sensitive skin may develop skin irritation when they come in contact with the sap of this toxic vine. There have been instances when children, mistaking the flower of the yellow jessamine plant for honeysuckle, have been poisoned following sucking the nectar from the flower.
All such hazards notwithstanding, the yellow jessamine vine is quite popular as a garden plant in warmer regions, where people often train them to grow over arbors/ bowers or to cover walls.
At the same time, it may be noted that all homeopathic medications that include yellow jessamine have definite indications. Like in the instance of treatment with any other homeopathic remedies, the medications that enclose yellow jessamine possess a very miniscule amount of the active element in order to ensure that it does not result in toxicity to the patients taking them.
It may be noted that the medicinal use of the yellow jessamine vines became extensive since mid-19th century. Initially and even to this day, this herb is primarily used to treat conditions, such as neuralgia (a jagged and spasmodic pain along the course of a nerve) and sciatica (an excruciating problem spreading from the hip down the back of the thigh and adjacent regions).
Individuals to respond best to the use of the homeopathic remedy gelsemium are those who are always apprehensive of losing control. Such people detest being bothered, particularly when they are feeling feverish. On the other hand, when these individuals have a dreary, dozy and giddy sensation, they desire to be embraced by others. In such situations, the faces of these individuals are flushed turning to deep red and accompanied by a tedious and infatuated look.
The main symptoms related to the homeopathic medication gelsemium include a common condition of physical as well as mental paralysis accompanied by debility and helplessness to carry out their routine functions. There have been occasions, when this homeopathic remedy has been administered to soldiers to reinforce their nerve on the battlefields. In addition, homeopathic practitioners also prescribe gelsemium to people enduring different types of phobias, nervousness before and during examinations, stage fear as well as to prevent other fears that may result in shuddering, debility, diarrhea and an urge for frequent urination. If such symptoms are not treated timely, they may result in more complex and grave neurological problems even leading to paralysis. However, turning to the homeopathic remedy gelsemium helps not only to cure the primary ailments, but also prevent as well as get relief from the associated conditions.
Apart from the health benefits offered by gelsemium, this homeopathic remedy is also prescribed to treat health conditions, such as severe influenza or throbbing throats accompanied with headaches with double vision, feebleness, wilted limbs, fever, colds as well as intense and tired out eyelids. People suffering from these symptoms may experience absence of need for liquids even when they are suffering from fever. Occasionally, homeopathic practitioners also prescribe gelsemium for people suffering from hay fever, provided the ailment is accompanied by the symptoms discussed above.
The homeopathic remedy gelsemium is prepared using the freshly obtained roots of the yellow jessamine vine. After digging out the roots of the plant, they are chopped into fine pieces and subsequently drenched in alcohol for a period of time. Next, the resultant solution is filtered and watered down to the desired level of potency for use as the homeopathic medication gelsemium which is safe for human use and effective in treating a range of health conditions, especially those related to symptoms similar to those caused by poisoning due to exposure to the yellow jessamine plant. As with preparing any other homeopathic remedy, gelsemium too does not retain even the slightest trace of the original substance it is prepared from - the yellow jessamine vine roots.
Traditionally, the yellow jessamine wine has been used in herbal medicine to treat pain as well as respiratory diseases. Even in homeopathy, gelsemium is normally prescribed in highly diluted solutions to cure health conditions that are accompanied by symptoms that are similar to those caused by gelsemium toxicity.
It may be noted that the homeopathic remedy gelsemium primarily works on the brain and the spinal cord, muscles, the motor cord, eyelids and mucous membranes. Regular use of this medication helps to provide relief from a painful scalp caused by inflammation of the nerve; headaches that worsen while the patient is in motion or due to bright light and the patient has a sensation as if the head has been constricted by a tight band; muscle aches related to fever caused by nervous disorder, for instance multiple sclerosis (a chronic progressive disease of the central nervous system); aching right eye; uterine pain as well as excruciating menstruation; problems in swallowing; a painful throat with reddish tonsils; earaches and summer colds. Turning to gelsemium helps to get quick relief from all these symptoms.
Homeopathic practitioners often prescribe gelsemium for people enduring symptoms of fever, including a perspiring, flushed face, a fuzzy, shaking tongue, shuddering muscles with a cold and painful sensation as well as colds accompanied by waves of heat down the spinal cord. In addition, the homeopathic medication gelsemium is also used to do away with fears, for instance the trepidation of undergoing any surgery or visiting a dentist for tooth removal as well as the terror endured by an individual following a shock. All the conditions mentioned here come together with shivering. Gelsemium is also an effective homeopathic remedy for feverishness or hyperactivity that may result in the heart missing a beat, stupor as well as insomnia or sleep disorders.
Occasionally, a painful throat may be associated with other symptoms and in such instances, one may be certain that these are owing to a severe influenza suffered by the patient. In fact, there are a number of other symptoms related to this condition (aching throat), for instance, headaches, fever, chills, and general debility. In such cases, turning to the homeopathic medication gelsemium facilitates in providing relief from these symptoms by fortifying the immune system of our body.
As mentioned before, there was a time when this homeopathic remedy was given to soldiers for enhancing their courage on the battlefield. Since then, gelsemium has been transformed into a homeopathic medication that helps treating specific mental problems. Hence, it is not surprising that homeopathic practitioners today prescribe gelsemium for people enduring different phobias, stage fright, nervous problems and any other case of shuddering, which may perhaps be an element of or may in some way add to any kind of mental disorder.
In addition, in homeopathy, gelsemium is indicated for treating migraine headache, nausea, nervous anxiety, chemotherapy support, dental support and recovery from surgery.
The yellow jessamine plant, which forms the basis for the homeopathic remedy gelsemium, is indigenous to the warm temperate as well as tropical climatic conditions prevailing from the north of Guatemala to the south-eastern regions of the United States.
- From Ellen - Nov-04-2012
- Now I know why I have fevers in my spine and feel like a large rubber band is wrapped around my head. I occasionally take the Gelsemium for lethargy.
I take it and I get energized and get to work. It may be a cure for procrastination! It usually takes two doses for me to get going.
- From Anna - Feb-23-2011
- I took Gelsemium (1M) for anxiety, and I too felt great relief right away, almost within 30 minutes after I took it. I think it might have helped me with mild facial neuralgia too, which almost disappeared after having it for about a year.
- From Katie - 2010
- I always used to use valerian to help with my anxiety, but once I got pregnant and started breastfeeding I stopped with there being no studies on the effects on my baby. I started taking Gelsemium and noticed a huge different instantly. Just now I took some as I was overly tired when I woke this morning and was very nervous all day. I get to the point I just want to sit on the couch and not move and wait for the day to end so I can go to bed because I'm so overcome with anxiety. I feel much better just a half hour after taking them. I love this stuff, I cant take it too often (more then 2-3 times a week) or I feel even worse and have the opposite effect, but if I don't take it too often its incredibly effective!!
- From Tanveer - 2010
- I use Gelsemium mixed with several other homeopathic drugs in the form of Cepharil, Naturae Homeomed, for migraine headaches. Gelsemium has helped reduce my headaches a lot.
- From Mary - 2010
- Gelsemium did not work for my fears and phobias at all.
- From Jessi - 2010
- I had to stop and remark that Gelsemium has been very helpful to me. I have been in several car accidents over the years, all not my fault, all total-outs. I was never injured in any of these accidents, and developed a phobia to driving as a result. I had managed this fear silently, assuming that I could handle the anxiety. I was wrong. I commute to a major city each day, and seldom drive. Being a passenger made it worse. I looked into homeopathic medicine, because doctors want to dope you up for fear. Gelsemium is calming with no side effects. I recommend it for anxiety, I can actually read a book in the passenger seat, before I would be soaked with sweat and sore from tightening up my muscles so badly.
- From Dr. Sheryl Wagner - 2010
- Many times the flu is brought on by the emotional symptoms of this remedy - anticipatory anxiety or any emotional event accompanied by anxiety. Recently a boy with Asperger's was transferring to a new school. The first day was marked with anxiety and obstinacy in not wanting to go to the new school and the boy quickly developed a runny nose and fever. Over the next 4 days, he just wanted to stay in bed under the covers and the fever was worse in the morning accompanied by fatigue. This is what I've found with Gelsemium fevers and flues. They are the type that make you want to wrap up in a blanket and lay in bed. One feels as if all the energy is gone. A dose of Gelsemium 30c cleared up his symptoms in less than a day.