The homeopathic remedy magnesium is available in two different forms - mag. carb. and mag. phos. While mag. carb. is prepared from a natural compound of magnesium called magnesium carbonate, mag. phos. is made from magnesium sulfate, which is a Schussler tissue salt. The two homeopathic medications based on the element magnesium are used to treat different conditions. Here is a brief discussion regarding the two homeopathic remedies having their origin in magnesium.
The homeopathic remedy mag. carb. comes under the magnesium group of homeopathic medications and is prepared from the compound magnesium carbonate. This medication is used to cure a number of health complaints, especially taste disorders and digestive problems.
The compound magnesium carbonate is a white colored solid that is found in nature as a mineral. In fact, this mineral is available in a number of hydrated as well as basic forms in nature. Most often, magnesium carbonate is denoted as ‘chalk' and is also used to dry humid hands by people engaged in activities, such as rock climbing, weight lifting and gymnastics. Magnesium carbonate is edible and used in foods as an additive. When used in foods, this mineral is known as E504, which results in one known side effect - when taken in excessive amounts or high intensity, it may work as a purgative.
In effect, magnesium is a very essential mineral, which has a vital role in the normal functioning of the body. Actually, most of us usually are not even aware of the importance of minerals, such as magnesium, for our wellbeing or what its deficiency in the body could result in. Precisely speaking, magnesium is important for us because it helps our body to convert food and accumulated sugars and fats into energy. In addition, magnesium is also essential for the preservation of the bones, for maintaining the health of the cardio-vascular system as well as to alleviate anxiety and tension. Besides these, magnesium has several other health benefits and when there is a shortage of this mineral in our body, its functions become abrupt and we usually feel feeble.
Homeopathic remedy mag. carb. has been used as a laxative for decades. In fact, the pharmaceutical industry still uses magnesium carbonate as a bulking (the practice of preparing, preserving, compounding and dispensing drugs) compound in powder preparations. In addition, magnesium carbonate also forms an active element in a number of antacids. The effectiveness and safety of the homeopathic remedy mag. carb. was established by the founder of this alternative stream of medicine Dr. Samuel Hahnemann.
Magnesium carbonate also has industrial uses. It is used in the industry for insulating compounds, making bricks and also in the form of a filler for paper and plastic paints.
As aforementioned, the homeopathic medication mag. carb. is prepared from the white colored compound magnesium carbonate, which is found in nature in different forms - hydrated as well as basic.
In homeopathy, mag. carb. is indicated for taste problems, for instance always having a bitter or astringent taste in the mouth accompanied by dense, white colored mucus on the tongue. In addition, this homeopathic medication is also effective for treating digestive problems, such as indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn that come together with a craving for acidic or sour drinks. When an individual suffers from any of these symptoms, the acid wallows back right into the gullet.
Homeopathic practitioners also prescribe mag. carb. for infants who find it difficult to grow and have restricted weight gain despite having the right nutrients. Such children may also endure very slow and belated development of muscles and be unable to keep up or prop their head.
It may be noted here that magnesium carbonate, which forms the basis of the homeopathic medication mag. carb. is actually a tissue salt that has the aptitude to facilitate development of muscles tissues. In fact, deficiency of magnesium carbonate in the body may cause general spasms and cramps occasionally.
In addition to effectively curing taste and digestive problems, mag. carb. is also an effective remedy for a number of problems related to the eye. People who suffer from copious tearing or have dry eyes may also find this homeopathic medication useful. It is also useful for people who experience glued eyes in the morning or have dim eyes and black spots in the eyes.
The white colored natural compound magnesium carbonate, which forms the basis of the homeopathic remedy mag. carb., is obtained from magnesite, occurring in white masses in nature. Magnesite is found in abundance in the United States, China and Austria.
Magnesium phosphate / Phosphate of magnesia
Magnesium phosphate, which forms the basis of the homeopathic medication mag. phos. is a Schussler tissue salt. In effect, the German physician Dr. Wilhelm Schussler, who introduced this into homeopathy, was of the view that homeopathic medications were excellent for ailments that have an influence on the nerve terminals in muscles or the muscular tissues. Several researches have shown that Dr. Schussler's views were correct, since absence or deficiency of magnesium in the body lead to a number of symptoms, including cramps and spasms.
Before using magnesium phosphorus as a homeopathic remedy, the mineral was strictly scrutinized and subsequently authenticated within homeopathy - and this has presented a number of wonderful results. In homeopathy, the mineral magnesium forms the basis of the remedy mag. phos. This homeopathic remedy is prepared very cautiously using magnesium sulfate and sodium phosphate. These two compounds are subsequently blended in water and allowed to crystallize. Later, the resulting crystals are triturated or pulverized with lactose or sugar milk to obtain the homeopathic medication mag. phos. In effect, mag. phos. has several dissimilar therapeutic uses and, hence, has turned out to be the backbone of homeopathy.
People who have an outgoing nature respond best to the homeopathic remedy mag. phos. The behaviour of such type of individuals is likely to be spontaneous and even restive. In addition, these people are very sensitive and frequently those with creative or intellectual traits. Such individuals usually have a tendency to be absent minded and this nature may make them often feel anxious and/ or worn out too.
The mineral compound magnesium phosphate forms the basis of the homeopathic remedy mag. phos. This medication is prepared very carefully by blending magnesium sulfate and sodium phosphate in water and allowing them to form crystals of magnesium phosphate. These crystals are subsequently triturated with lactose or milk sugar to form the versatile homeopathic medication mag. phos.
The homeopathic remedy mag. phos. has multiple therapeutic uses, but it is primarily associated with health problems that have an influence on the muscles and nerves, for instance, pains and aches accompanied with cramps, neuralgic pain (pain in one or more nerves) and a feeling of constriction. In addition, mag. phos. is also an effective medication for colic (spasmodic pains in the abdominal region and/ or the bowels), wherein the condition improves on application of pressure, warmth and doubling over. On the contrary, the patients feel worse when they are exposed to cold or are touched. In most cases, the problems occur on the right side of the body and the patient has an inclination to feel cold. Individuals, who need this homeopathic medication most, are those who are very sensitive, artistic and intellectual.
As aforementioned, mag. phos. is considered to be one of the more versatile remedies in homeopathy and, therefore, used to treat a number of health conditions. In effect, over the years, this medication has turned out to be the mainstay in homeopathy. Some of the condition specific health benefits of mag. phos. are discussed in brief below.
- People suffering from this health condition experience piercing and spreading pains that appear as well as disappear within the body all of a sudden. The pain is so intense and unbearable that the condition may cause the patients to cry as a reaction of the pain which is experienced in the muscles that turn firm and often insensitive. Using the homeopathic remedy mag. phos. in such conditions not only helps the pain to sink quickly, but also cures the original health complaint.
- Abdominal contractions
- Such cramps in the abdominal region are frequently related to the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and may occur as well as disappear somewhat fast. This condition is associated with awful and fidgety aching and a bloated sensation in the abdomen. In such situations, turning to the homeopathic remedy mag. phos. helps in alleviating both the symptoms, providing quick relief to the patients.
- Menstrual cramps
- Some women often experience prickly and occasionally acute cramps during their menstrual cycles. In such situations, they also undergo a shooting pain and other associated symptoms. Such women may be immensely benefitted by using the homeopathic medication mag. phos., which is effective not only in alleviating the cramps and pains, but also providing relief from all associated symptoms.
- Mag. phos. is an excellent homeopathic remedy for certain types of headaches, especially the ones which involve shooting pains behind the neck and extending to all over the head. Owing to such excruciating pain, the patient's face may turn reddish and begin to throb. The condition is usually unbearable, but using mag. phos. helps to alleviate the problem.
- The homeopathic medication mag. phos. is effective in alleviating dull or excruciating pains in the teeth, especially in small children who are experiencing the teething period. This medication may also be used by adults for getting relief from toothaches.
- In homeopathy, mag. phos. is helpful in curing aches in the ear, especially when the pains are shooting in nature and may deteriorated when the patient is exposed to wind or cold. In such cases, the patients always like their ears to be covered to provide ease.
The homeopathic remedy mag. phos. is prepared synthetically using magnesium sulfate and sodium phosphate. These two mineral compounds are mixed in water and left to crystallize. The crystals are subsequently triturated or pulverized with lactose/ milk sugar to obtain the homeopathic medication mag. phos.